Project VR6 Coupe! [Pic heavy!]

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

Re: Project VR6 Coupe! [Pic heavy!]

Postby deuce-24 » June 7th, 2014, 6:02 am

What do you have in it for downpipe and such? I have a mk2 12v vr6 header that would do if you dont have anything yet...
deuce-24
0-60

Postby Fizzo20 » June 7th, 2014, 5:40 pm

As of right now I just have a stock header and a 2.25" TT exhaust. I may be interested in the header eventually when the car is on the road.
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby DeleriousZ » June 7th, 2014, 9:22 pm

I might want to snipe that manifold :P
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby deuce-24 » June 8th, 2014, 3:20 pm

DeleriousZ wrote:I might want to snipe that manifold :P

Doooo it! PM me if you want it. Would like to see it used. I was going to cut it up and make it fit a mk1 but I am now going 24v...
deuce-24
0-60

Postby Fizzo20 » July 26th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Okay so I suck at updating this thread so here's a quick update:

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't run. I replaced the crank position sensor which is usually the culprit for VR no start issues. Replaced that and still no spark. I tested everything as well: Coilpack is getting power, ECM is getting power, fuel pump is priming and sending fuel to the rail, starter turns motor over. Still no start! I thought it was a faulty ECM so while I was trying to find one, out of desperation I posted on MK2VR6.com and the resident expert over there told me to text him. He ran through all the tests again and came to the conclusion that the connector on the side of the motor may be loose. Even though I checked it before, I figured I'll check it again. Turns out the rubber gasket to seal the plug wasn't fully in the connector properly since my twist clip is broken. So I shoved it in there (heheh) went to turn the key and BOOM it fired effortlessly first try. Since it is currently open header and I didn't expect it to fire, I damn near shat my pants it was so loud! :lol: I was a happy camper!

Since then, I've replaced my leaky rad, cleaned up some of the wiring, did a quick alignment to make it drivable, replaced the clutch slave cylinder and flushed and bled the brake/clutch system. The clutch feels sooooo smooth and the brakes lock hard. Next is to add coolant and P/S fluid to properly idle the car and see how it runs. My issue right now is my shift linkage setup is a little finicky so I need to track down some parts and dial in the alignment for that. Once the shifter is lined up and driveshafts torqued, she's ready for a little test drive. Updates coming soon

Quick pic from last night:
-Faraaz
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby Fizzo20 » July 27th, 2014, 6:21 pm

So she idles real nice but doesn't seem to wanna rev past 1250 RPM. Not sure why, still trying to figure that one out. I'm hoping it's not mechanical timing or a fuel delivery issue. Perhaps a faulty TPS. We'll see...
-Faraaz
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby NotoriousNRB » July 28th, 2014, 1:10 am

i see you have windows in your garage. nice touch!
92 GTI 16v
91 GTX 16v
57 WRX Swapped Beetle, Current Build
03 Sierra BroCab BroTruck
Dub Dynasty Photography
IG: @j_schinkel
-Jesse
NotoriousNRB
Pan Scraper

Postby nickel » July 28th, 2014, 7:35 pm

those first starts are always a great feeling, good work!
Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
1998 toyota tacoma v6 4x4
nickel
0-100

Postby Fizzo20 » July 29th, 2014, 10:39 pm

It was indeed a great feeling! So for revving issue, I tried a different crank sensor, different TPS, different cam sensor, different ECU, unplugged MAF, and a different coilpack. At this point I'm thinking the timing chain is off... anyone know what it could be? Here's a video:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/OzWT2_Jrnss[/youtube]
-Faraaz
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby Fizzo20 » September 4th, 2014, 6:02 am

Alright time for another update. For the last month or so, I have been struggling to get the car running correctly. Because of the rev issue, I ended up replacing every sensor on the motor, as well as spark plugs, ECU, coilpack etc and never fixed it. Tested the entire harness and fucked around with it for a month trying to get it to run properly. As a last resort, I pulled out the whole harness including the injector harness and rewired the whole thing from the beginning with a new harness. Went to start it up and it sounded different right off the bat. Gave it a rev and sure enough, it revved to the moon.

Shortly after, I tucked and cleaned up all the wiring, slapped the front end on, torqued everything to spec, cleaned the car, cleaned the bay, adjusted the height and tilt of the motor and sent it off for alignment and exhaust. Tomorrow that's getting done and shortly after the windshield will be getting done. If everything falls into place, I have no excuse not to bring it to the next meet.

-Faraaz
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

PreviousNext

Return to Member Cars