1990 coupe + my toyotas

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

Re: 1990 coupe

Postby nickel » July 18th, 2013, 3:31 pm

the springs blew out of my clutch last thursday, got a new oem clutch, push rod, bearing, release plate, release 'finger', fresh gear oil and coolant and regreased cv joints and the coupe is back on the road this morning wooo!

that clutch was brand new from 2 summers ago, bad quality part or just had the piss driven out of it lol?

bolt head on the clutch nicked the bellhousing a bit of a close call

Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
1998 toyota tacoma v6 4x4
nickel
0-100

Postby nickel » September 29th, 2013, 5:51 pm

one of the last pics i took of my car this past summer, i bought another toyota and am parking the vw probably until i am done my uni degree. i'll report back here in a few years or so once i actually have the funds and time to restore/ build this thing back up to its prime. i've met a few peeps on this site over the last few years but never really went to any shows, meets, or cruises. until then, its been good ladies and gents and best of luck with the site/club

Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
nickel
0-100

Postby nickel » March 6th, 2014, 8:24 am

sooo really miss driving this car around and feeling nostalgic so i dug up a few more pics of the old bastard

it has a trunk full of parts right now, its almost sort of warming up and school is almost sort of slowing down for a couple weeks so i might get to do some tinkering on it. also i have a friend that has been sitting on 2 wrecked mk2s for a long time now that are both full of really good parts but haven't quite been able to convince him to part them out yet...

-i got a g60 valve cover i want to clean up and a new valve cover gasket that needs to be put on
-a metal t-stat coolant flange to install
-a mini trunk mounted washer bottle from a euro golf to replace the massive one in the engine bay
-found a set of aftermarket taillights and side markers at Pnp, as well as a grill eyebrow and a westy front end to put on too
-also i have to repair the drivers side doorhandle and i really want to go through the engine bay wiring and clean all that up. its got a lot of old crusty wiring that i would like to replace and relocate so its not scraggled all over the place!

the old window sticker lol
Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
nickel
0-100

Postby Fizzo20 » March 6th, 2014, 3:41 pm

I love this car.
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Re: 1990 coupe + my toyotas

Postby nickel » March 7th, 2014, 4:54 am

me too! :D

thought i would post some of the stuff i have done outside of VWs over the past year and bundle them into this thread as well.

i'll start with the 86 4runner i had for about a year, this was a really fun truck to rip around in but was by far the rustiest, skeeziest, starts-only-when-it-wants-to pos i've ever owned lol. i did ball joints to it, fixed some wiring issues, tried to maintain interior parts that failed throughout the winter, and put on fiberglass quarter panels because you could put your fist through the side and the risk of tetanus was beyond. tbh i wish i could have kept it but it was not a good car to have as a full-time student.

started as this

Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
nickel
0-100

Postby nickel » March 7th, 2014, 5:10 am

and here is my current truck now that my jetta is in storage to keep it safe from winters, a 98 tacoma v6 4x4. the previous owner did the bedliner on the body and installed the front and rear bumpers, as well as the OME lift with upgraded coils and leafs. it also came with some 33" tires.

first thing i did when i got it was upgrade the front calipers+ rotors to those from a 1st gen tundra, as well as SS brake lines, unpack the drums of mud, and repair the seized e-brake cable. 2nd was to replace every fluid in the truck, (except for the coolant which i did a couple months later after it got to -30 and it froze up and overheated..).

this past month i replaced the upper and lower ball joints, as well as the inner and outer tie rods. i have some bolt on rock sliders i want to put on it by spring time, as well as a topper to make into a camper type deal so i can keep tools and sleep in the back in summer time. i am doing a field job in the athabasca area this summer so i am hoping to do some exploring up around there!

heres the new BJs and tundra brakes

and i did this little diddy to replace the ratty gear shift boot

now that i finished some of the regular maintenance stuff i have some ideas for fun/cool mods and hopefully getting some nice weather and take it out wheeling some
Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
nickel
0-100

Postby Dielon » March 8th, 2014, 7:23 am

Nice truck buddy!
ahhhh I see, ya got all stoned, had a high-dea and decided to make a thread.
Dielon
0-100

Postby newf » March 8th, 2014, 2:30 pm

i have a diff drop kit if you want it. it helps to correct driveline angle on the cv's when you have a lifted truck. i never got to install it on my surf. will lift your truck an inch in the front. anyway, both rides are looking great!
newf
0-60

Postby nickel » March 9th, 2014, 12:20 am

thanks fellas!

aaron sent you a pm!

the other day i fixed my dash rattle by jamming a sock in the back and carpeted the inside of the ash/change tray so its a little quieter inside now lol. also i got a topper to put on the back of the pickup now, gonna paint it black and fix a busted window with some plexiglass. once the topper is on iam thinking of testing my carpentry skills and build a floor/storage area in the bed for tools, jack, camping bed, etc.

also got parts to do a diff breather extension, as well as some audio stuff to go in soon too. got head unit, 4channel amp for speakers, and a mono amp for a 10" sub, should be pretty loud in there afterwards hah.
Max
1990 coupe 1.8l 8v
nickel
0-100

Postby Kane » March 9th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Love your car and the truck!
1983 Rabbit diesel-Summer
2004 Jetta TDI sport- Daily
2002 Jetta 1.8t fasssst-Wifes
Kane