82 Rabbit Pickup TDI swap

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

Re: 82 Rabbit Pickup TDI swap

Postby Kneight Ridaz » January 22nd, 2015, 4:02 am

Once I drop the tank I'll let you know if there is a screen filter, but I belive there is. I narrowed it down to fuel/dirty tank because I by bypassed the fuel filter and ran the engine directly off a can of diesel purge. It ran great on the purge. Reved up fine. Once I hooked it back up to the diesel lines, it slowly started running worse and would spudder around 1500-2000rpm. So that why I thought crap in the tank restricting the fuel flow.
But I also could be getting a small amount of air in the fuel line too. I noticed one of my brass fittings was wet to the touch with diesel, but wasn't enough of a leak to make a puddle.
82 Rabbit Pickup
01 1.8T Jetta
06 LBZ Duramax 2500HD

-Curtis
Kneight Ridaz

Postby twitch » January 22nd, 2015, 4:27 am

Alrighty cool sounds good.

If that fitting is wet chances are you're getting air in for sure.

Yeah I did the same thing with my car, just ran a clear fuel line from a Jerry can to my pump. No issues that way, so then I just started eliminating lines and replaced everything with clear lines other then the rigid plastic ones. Hardest thing was trying to find good sealing clamps to make air tight connections. Also one of my check valves was pooched and I also bypassed the water separator to eliminate air leaks there.

My issue is that after being shutdown over night I lose the fuel in the line between the filter and my injection pump. If there is a tank screen on mk2's it may be plugged, or my injection pump just getting tired out but I'm running out of ideas.

Long story short.... I accidentally ran my car out of fuel in search of a gas station that carried diesel. Avoid that for future reference hahaha.
-91 TD Jetta
-91 GTI
-Lifted Silverado
-Bunch Of Dirtbikes
twitch
0-60

Postby DeleriousZ » January 22nd, 2015, 4:57 pm

Lol twitch. In the future use the gasbuddy app, it will tell you where the nearest station is that has diesel.
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby NotoriousNRB » January 25th, 2015, 6:08 am

DeleriousZ wrote:Lol twitch. In the future use the gasbuddy app, it will tell you where the nearest station is that has diesel.

Dude he's oldskool, leave'm alone! :P
92 GTI 16v
91 GTX 16v
57 WRX Swapped Beetle, Current Build
03 Sierra BroCab BroTruck
Dub Dynasty Photography
IG: @j_schinkel
-Jesse
NotoriousNRB
Pan Scraper

Postby deuce-24 » January 26th, 2015, 5:38 am

twitch wrote:Alrighty cool sounds good.

If that fitting is wet chances are you're getting air in for sure.

Yeah I did the same thing with my car, just ran a clear fuel line from a Jerry can to my pump. No issues that way, so then I just started eliminating lines and replaced everything with clear lines other then the rigid plastic ones. Hardest thing was trying to find good sealing clamps to make air tight connections. Also one of my check valves was pooched and I also bypassed the water separator to eliminate air leaks there.

My issue is that after being shutdown over night I lose the fuel in the line between the filter and my injection pump. If there is a tank screen on mk2's it may be plugged, or my injection pump just getting tired out but I'm running out of ideas.

Long story short.... I accidentally ran my car out of fuel in search of a gas station that carried diesel. Avoid that for future reference hahaha.

Have you tried putting an early filter (1985 diesel) in and deleting the preheater piece that goes into the normal style filter? That may help your issue, and you can buy the proper fuel line clamps that give even pressure at auto value im pretty sure
deuce-24
0-60

Postby twitch » January 26th, 2015, 6:40 am

Yeah I literally went to 3 different stations and then on my way to the 4th I hit a decent sized hill and that was it, I'll look for that app haha.

I shoulda mentioned that I did delete that little preheater as well by using the older style filter as they seem to be another common source for air leaks. I tried a bunch of places but it was hard to find the good style fuel clamps like you're talking about that would go small enough. I ended finding some clamps from wurth that are the proper size tho for future reference if you need some curt.
-91 TD Jetta
-91 GTI
-Lifted Silverado
-Bunch Of Dirtbikes
twitch
0-60

Postby Kneight Ridaz » January 27th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Have you tried putting an early filter (1985 diesel) in and deleting the preheater piece that goes into the normal style filter? That may help your issue, and you can buy the proper fuel line clamps that give even pressure at auto value im pretty sure

Yeah im already running the early diesel filter without the preheater, and im running fuel line clamps i got from napa.

I uses a boroscope to look into the tank, it was very clean inside and there is a tank screen filter. So I put put 10 liters in to test the fuel flow and it just trickled out... It only started to flow better if i blasted air down the return line. So almost certain the screen is clogged or venting it severely blocked.

I dropped the tank last night and removed the tank filter, also cleaned the vent lines. Once i install it again ill test the flow.

Iv also been researching external low pressure/high volume lift pumps. Lots of guys run them and say it helps with start up and overall fuel delivery. Also with the higher HP i plan on running it helps fuel starvation at WOT.

Anyone had any experience with lift pumps of the 1Z/AHU tdi's? i know the later PD's have a internal tank pump.
82 Rabbit Pickup
01 1.8T Jetta
06 LBZ Duramax 2500HD

-Curtis
Kneight Ridaz

Postby RoofProp » February 8th, 2015, 3:28 am

you could try pulling vacuum from the outlet of the filter and tank sending unit to see where the restriction is. i plan to try that on my TDI to help find my starting problems. some MK4 sending units for the tanks have a restrictor in them that gets clogged. not sure if the mk2 are the same.
Kev
92-mk2 golf diesel-lowered
01-Jeep wj-lifted
RoofProp

Postby mdmvisuals » April 7th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Dub Dynasty Update.

Over the past 3 weeks the Caddy has been at the shop getting fitted and having the body smoothed out for its next stage of the build. Heres a bunch of photos. Ill post more later, but right now the car has been epoxied and soon we will be wet sanding.

Obligatory Canadian photo.

Jesse Rolling the fenders. Thanks Kane!!

Jesse making some room for rear bag stuff.

Some metal had to be replaced on one of the rear arches.

The rear drop plates had some angle put into them so the rear has a bit more camber... Jesse cleaned up the threads.

Shanes wheels were test fitted to see if the 165 50 was a better fit...

Jesse approves.

To be continued...
mdmvisuals
0-60

Postby Larso » April 9th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Nice work !
90 Corrado G60- still in progress
95 Cabrio VRT- blast to drive !
03 Jetta 1.8T- mine- daily-modded
12 Volvo XC90-wifes grocery getter

Lars G- the dirty swede !