Audi winter beater

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

Audi winter beater

Postby racerabbit » January 12th, 2015, 5:31 am

So another build thread.. I've always had a soft spot (in the head) for these old AAN 5 cyl turbos. for all you young guys who were probably not born when this car came out, its a 2.0 16v with an extra cylinder and a hairdryer attached.
do a youtube search for a group b audi and you will know what these can sound like...

This one is a high mile (370K) girl with a less than perfect body and all the usual Audi electrical gremlins. Just when you think you have everything working something else fails.

I can't leave anything alone, so the day I bought it I build a 3" exhaust and put a skid plate underneath..

followed by a S2 manifold and a GT2871R, fed with bigger injectors and an ECU upgrade from 034 Motorsports.

The resulting 340Whp required a new billet alum flywheel and stage 3+ clutch, and then the coil drivers failed... So LSX coils and custom plug wires from my new best friends at 034...

running problems led me to some holes in the intercooler, so a front mount was needed...

winter meant I needed a set of studded tires to keep things in line (barely).. The wheels were some scuffed up freebees that happened to fit the tires off the old E46, they got a shot of rattle can paint and turned out not too bad

As can be expected, the suspension was a bit done at 370,000 km, so all new bushings and bearings everywhere, a new steering rack (never doing that again), bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs all around. Now the car actually turns like it should. Still thinking about a bigger rear swaybar...

Lastly (for now) some cosmetics. Tried my hand at some vinyl wrap. The hood and trunk got a carbon weave, and when I feel brave enough I have some navy blue coming for the rest of the car

The car is kind of an evil sleeper.. nobody really knows what it is until its too late.. and it will eat a stock Evo X in a roll on, all while dragging its 3500 lb ass along in leather comfort.. Of course the heated seats stopped working, but what would I do if I didn't have something to fix?
racerabbit

Re: Audi winter beater

Postby DeleriousZ » January 12th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Goddamn dude this thing is fucking badass. Love these older audi's, love the modified ones even more!

I require sound clips of that orchestral 5 cylinder lol.
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby RoofProp » January 13th, 2015, 1:57 am

sound clip indeed!!!
Kev
92-mk2 golf diesel-lowered
01-Jeep wj-lifted
RoofProp

Postby racerabbit » January 13th, 2015, 6:44 am

racerabbit