My adventures including a B3, and some mk1 mk2 mk3 fun.

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

My adventures including a B3, and some mk1 mk2 mk3 fun.

Postby firestarter » March 1st, 2015, 5:08 pm

So, I was having the winter blues driving my Dually Duramax during the winter months. On nice(ish) days I would sneak a drive in the VRT. But I needed something AWD, fun, reliable, cool, roomy, inexpensive on fuel compared to my truck and last but not least, Reasonably priced. So I started looking for Audis, Subarus, And even the occasional RHD car. Then I saw "clifford" for sale in Kelowna. Clifford is rather notorious in the Vancouver area. It started life as a FWD 16V passat, then it became a 1.8T car with a K04 and FMIC which led to 245whp and 265wtq. That is enough to move a b3 along quickly except traction was an issue, so the owner found a syncro passat and proceeded to swap everything over. And the rest is history. This car has all the goodies
Black leather interior from a B4, KW V2 coilovers, euro lights, and on and on. So I phone the owner and he is straight up with me. The car has been his daily, needs some love and he wants out of it. We play phone and email tag for a few days and a deal was struck, I fly out and drive Clifford back to Edmonton.

Things I notice on the drive. Driveline vibrations out the wazoo, rattliest of interiors, fuel gauge doesnt work, cluster flickers off and on when you turn the wipers on, HL sprayers don't work, etc. All the things youd expect to find in a 25 year old VW. I get clifford home and realize that many of the vibrations and rattles are from the car being dumped and the exhaust rubbing on errrrrthing haha. So since its a winter car, I raised it up (BOOOOO HIIISSSSSSS) I know, but it had to be done. Changed out the 15" syncro wheels since I think they are ugly and tossed on the obligatory BBS RS replica wheels for winter purposes. cleaned up the interior, started dynamatting the spare well and rear floor section, I want this car quiet. I broke the car already, bolts backed out of the prop shaft to the angle drive and start hitting the steering rack, by the time I can pull over and get the car into a parking lot, I broke a bolt off. Whooopps, Then I admit defeat since I didnt have anything for tools and a jack to get under the car, I grab the dually and car hauler to get the damn thing home, I drive the car onto the trailer and the rubber coupler decides to tear during the proccess and That is how the car sits. I parked the car, closed the garage, flew to amsterdam with my GF, drank my sorrows away and now I am in Africa working.

On with the plans, Parts are ordered to fix the car! so that is first and foremost. Then I will redo the exhaust from DP back leaving a nice upswept tip. Then onto the other stuff, get the fogs working, fix the scuff in the bumper, fix the breather issues, clean up the engine bay. Get all the speakers upgraded and build a sub enclosure in the drivers rear well so all the cargo space can be used to haul junk haha. I procured some new wheels so I will be selling the Work Eurolines if anyone is interested. I am also going to rebuild the shifter setup using some leftovers from "Buster". Tint the windows 35% rears and 50% fronts to keep the heat down a wee bit. I need to replace some items before it goes in for OOP. I will keep you all in the loop and try to get a build for the car as we go, In fact, I will just leave this thread as the build thread for all my cars

Pics.
New winter mode

Summer mode last summer from the previous owner

This is a lovely place to be
Big plans for "Buster" the Mk2.

Like my shop on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autobahn- ... 6076489191
firestarter
0-60

Re: My adventures including a B3, and some mk1 mk2 mk3 fun.

Postby passtgt » March 2nd, 2015, 5:51 pm

I'm glad this car is now in your hands bill. I know this car will get the love it deserves. If possible could you post some pictures of the coolant hoses and where they are routed? I'm in the middle of a aeb swap in my b3 and have no idea where to route what..
Master field sniper
B3 heavy armor div.
-----------------------
Luke B
92 passat gls 1.8t on standalone (under construction...)
03 GMC 2500hd crewcab 4x4 flash tuned dirtymax
passtgt
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby mcrow » March 2nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

Those seats are beautiful. It's nice that some of the issues were just free fixes.

What new rims are you looking at for this beast?
Mitch
-1996 Harlequin
-1995 Cabrio VRT
mcrow
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby Dielon » March 2nd, 2015, 9:49 pm

So Jelly but I'm glad it is in good hands!
ahhhh I see, ya got all stoned, had a high-dea and decided to make a thread.
Dielon
0-100

Postby DeleriousZ » March 2nd, 2015, 10:00 pm

Those seats are worth $$$$$$$$$. I'm sad you bought this, because I want it, but it will be in good hands it sounds like.

If you're looking for more info on the custom center shaft bearing, the guy who owned it before the guy you bought it off of got it made for him. I think the guy's name was Tim Tish, you can find him on facebook most likely. There's lots of history on the car on vwvortex too I think but you've probably already found it :)
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby firestarter » March 3rd, 2015, 7:12 am

Thanks guys,I'd like to think it's in good hands now too, haha. For wheel choice I am torn between running my Nothelle classics or the widened BBS Rm's. I will have to try both sets and get pics and maybe see what everyones opinions are. I have tried to track down as much as I can about this car. I know it was 2wd, then swapped, then syncroed. I am trying to figure out if this car was stolen at one time or not. I will do my best to keep updating this thread with pics and blurbs and such.

I have some plans for when I get home. I need to part out the K2 jetta I bought, and start working on the Harlequin too.
Big plans for "Buster" the Mk2.

Like my shop on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autobahn- ... 6076489191
firestarter
0-60

Return to Member Cars