MK2 Volkswagen Jetta coupe Build thread

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

MK2 Volkswagen Jetta coupe Build thread

Postby TheVdubFire » April 30th, 2015, 8:09 pm

So after getting rid of my old Mk2 sedan it was time to move on to something new. Thanks to my buddy Faraaz, I've picked up this coupe and have decided to start slowly building it. Funny thing is that the car is pretty much identical to Faraaz's coupe, other than not being VR6! The person I bought it from was planning to drive her to Pick n Pull, so I decided to save her from being ripped apart and give her another chance to live. The car itself is a basic 1990 Jetta coupe with ~240 kms, with factory sunroof and no other options. As of now it sits on Raceland coil overs (which ride really well!), and has HID lights installed out front. This is the way I picked her up:

The sedan had to go because the rust was getting worse, and the car had numerous little f-ups, like malfunctional doors, worn-out shifter bushings, worn-out cam bearings, burning oil, etc. The thing had to go because it was realistically not worth keeping (even with me trying to fix all those problems)

Swapped the leather doorcards, Taurus cupholder, Recaro interior, etc

Picked up a set of rims from Darren. They are Works Equip replicas, called Drag DR-20, with the 15x7 dimensions, The tires were ordered from Curtis, with the dimensions 185/45/R15 which are fairly rare and had to be ordered. Gave it a little stretch, but kept it functional as she is my daily.

For now the plans are to swap the Girling54 callipers with 10.1" rotors with high-performance brake pads and an alignment. Later plans are to swap a low-mileage ABA and build it from there. I really appreciate the reliability of the 8v's, and the swap seems to be straight forward for my first swap. Another plan for the future is to build a high-quality sound system with component speakers that are amplified, and install my 12-inch Hertz subwoofer. I can guarantee you that you will get to see her at our meets this summer ;)
2011 VW Golf Sportline 2.5 CandyWhite
1990 VW Jetta Coupe OEM+ ABA build
_______
Anar Samedi
TheVdubFire
DasDubbers Member

Re: MK2 Volkswagen Jetta coupe Build thread

Postby Fizzo20 » May 1st, 2015, 5:05 am

Love it! Can't wait to see it progress!
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby j-dubn » May 6th, 2015, 3:51 am

Ha ha you kept the bra lol looks good on black , the aba is easy, do the dash too it's totally worth the extra time . Happy you saved the car :D
j-dubn
0-60

Postby j-dubn » May 6th, 2015, 3:53 am

And if I make it down to Calgary ill bring you some door trim for that missing piece
j-dubn
0-60

Postby Larso » May 6th, 2015, 4:20 am

Looking good !
90 Corrado G60- still in progress
95 Cabrio VRT- blast to drive !
03 Jetta 1.8T- mine- daily-modded
12 Volvo XC90-wifes grocery getter

Lars G- the dirty swede !

Mortgage needs- colleen@brayco.ca #403-819-0132
Larso
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby billing10 » May 6th, 2015, 3:51 pm

looks real good. think i spotted you around edmonton trail i have the blue 4 door mark2
88 Slolom Jetta 8valve.
billing10

Postby TheVdubFire » January 24th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by TheVdubFire on January 24th, 2016, 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_______
Anar Samedi
TheVdubFire
DasDubbers Member

Postby TheVdubFire » January 24th, 2016, 8:17 pm

As of now, the car is stripped and the old engine has been sold. The new engine (2.0 ABA) was sourced from Mitch's Harlequin and has been midly rebuilt. So far I have:

- Replaced all the gaskets and nuts for intake and exhaust manifolds
- Painted the intake manifold (Many thanks to Fizzo20)
- Autotech 270 cam and sproket
- New valve lifters
- Serp belt conversion and AC delete

Engine going to be dropped in today, hopefully she will be on the road very soon!

On the side note I'm thinking of attempting to build a 16v and ABA clone (ABF?) with a supercharger, as a side project. Any suggestions on supercharger or general recommendations?
Last edited by TheVdubFire on April 26th, 2016, 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_______
Anar Samedi
TheVdubFire
DasDubbers Member

Postby j-dubn » February 11th, 2016, 6:09 am

I have a dual weber conversion for a 2.0 with a msd everything you need to hook it up .big Crome horns .super sexy. It's attached to a motor right now with a 9a tranny. Could let it go for super cheap as its not being used. Throw me a offer if your interested :D
j-dubn
0-60

Return to Member Cars