The 83 RabbitTD and a few other vw's.

Build Threads, Picture Posts, Show Off Your Work/Cars

Re: The 83 RabbitTD and a few other vw's.

Postby NotoriousNRB » March 29th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Larso wrote:I love the plans you have in store for it ... Gonna look good ;)

hey no secrets. whats the plans!
92 GTI 16v
91 GTX 16v
57 WRX Swapped Beetle, Current Build
03 Sierra BroCab BroTruck
Dub Dynasty Photography
IG: @j_schinkel
-Jesse
NotoriousNRB
Pan Scraper

Postby Kane » March 29th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Oh i'll get some photos up once i get more of the parts. Pics will do more justice. Nothing crazy, just a bunch of small settle things and maintenance!

I feel obliged to move it into workable space in my garage and do some work on it today since it is the 40th anniversary of the first mk1 rolling off the assembly line.
1983 Rabbit diesel-Summer
2004 Jetta TDI sport- Daily
2002 Jetta 1.8t fasssst-Wifes
Kane
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby Kane » April 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm

Engine is out!
Going to put in new clutch disc and tranny input seal. It's leaking i'm positive as it smells like gear oil and the rear main isn't very old.
Got a broken bolt to extract. Doesn't look like a bad one.
Going to do some work on the downpipe.
Messy bay.
Joes(dublu) made me up these center caps last summer. They suite perfectly. Amazing work by Joe as per usual!
My Grandparents use to have these when i was a kid. I had to get that retro goodness underneath me :lol:
Found a oem radio/tape. Looking forward to getting it in.
Bill(firestartgli) hooked me with some bumpers i have been looking for. Did a quick mock up. leaving that diving board look.
Kane
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby Kane » April 21st, 2014, 2:23 pm

Have some parts on order for the MK1 before i can get back to it. I brought the TDI in for some loving.
New billet adjusters for the OEM hids. Old vs.
Pulling the lenses off were a pita as you can't heat these lights up in the oven. Took me 3.5 hrs to get both lenses off. Was glad to have them back together
Both diesels pulled apart. Did some repairs to the gli lip and put on a summer bumper as my other one is badly rock chipped. Mostly from driving in the national park in the winter i think.

New fender install, front coilovers siezed...even with doing maintence twice a year on them. :cry: But i fixed that with a BFH and punch.
Summer tires get mounted at Bob's at UrbanX tomorrow and some minor height adjustments and then back to the MK1.

Thought i'd update as the board is getting more traffic as the warm weather comes. Going to be under the gun getting the rabbit back up and running but it should be fun :P

Stay tuned
Kane
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby Larso » April 21st, 2014, 3:34 pm

Looking good ! Lmk if you need a hand.
90 Corrado G60- still in progress
95 Cabrio VRT- blast to drive !
03 Jetta 1.8T- mine- daily-modded
12 Volvo XC90-wifes grocery getter

Lars G- the dirty swede !

Mortgage needs- colleen@brayco.ca #403-819-0132
Larso
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby dublu » May 4th, 2014, 6:46 pm

love the beads on the seats and good to see the caps on the wheels work.
2012 Jetta, 2000 Audi A4, 84 Yamaha, 2003 Cooper

dublu.tumblr.com, dublu.ca, placidrhino.ca, @placidrhino
dublu
0-100

Postby 81rabbit16 » May 6th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Love the retro look!! Those wheels look right at home!! Can wait to see it out on the streets!:)
1981 Mk1
2003 Passat 1.8T
81rabbit16

Postby Kane » March 22nd, 2015, 5:49 am

Started working on the MK1 as i had some free time this week. First order of business was the headlights, have a bit of a list to do before i reinsure it. I had a set of old headlights with some projectors so i tore them apart. As i want run HIDs...but not in regular housings. I heated the MK1 7" round in the oven at 325F for 7 mins and gently worked the lenses off had to do each housing about 3 times and eventually they separated. Then cut the rear portion out to fit the projectors in. The shrouds were integrated into the old housing so i had to be crafty to cut them out clean so i could re-use them. Sanded them down to loose the chrome finish and applied 3 coats of mat silver. I have about $50 into them so far.

Before:

During and after: - I should have taken more photos during it all but will get more once i have them installed.

I really like the mat silver. Something different.
Letting them cure overnight. Hope to finish re-assembly tomorrow and try them out. Went a little heavy on the silicon to seal the lenses :/

As the car sits now. Plan on cleaning the wire tuck up a bit.

As for the MK4 TDI. Still loving it. I have some Ksport replacement struts to do some refresh on it. Other then that its been solid.
Kane
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby DeleriousZ » March 22nd, 2015, 7:42 am

Fantastic work on the projectors. I always make a point of making a point about proper projectors! Well done sir!
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby Kane » March 22nd, 2015, 3:59 pm

Thanks man. I can not stand being blinded from HID's in non projector housings. Not so much in small cars. It's the lifted trucks!

Had my morning coffee and got right to it!

Got them installed. Very happy with how they turned out. And before the bumper police get here i run bumpers but they are stock and stick out like diving boards so i pull them off during winter storage in my garage. Also going to put back on the small duckbill. I really hate the large one.

I really like the orange city light. It currently is a orange halogen wedge bulb (196?). I think i'll get some orange LED ones if i can.

I temporarily wired in the Ballasts to check them. I have the headlights already relayed so it should work out really well wiring them in. I will tuck them in the drivers side fender well.

I haven't aimed the headlights and the car is on a jack so this is just a rough idea. I have some tweeking to do there.

Stay tuned as i have lots of other little projects planned for this spring. Time provided.
Kane
I Think I Am In A Gang

PreviousNext

Return to Member Cars