light weight 15X8

Wheel & Tire Tech Questions and Pictures

light weight 15X8

Postby S. Goertzen » February 23rd, 2012, 11:44 pm

I'm looking for suggestions here. I want a set of 15X8's for my 84 GTI (4x100 bolt pattern). The weight is the largest priority for me, but yes I want something that looks alright to. I've considered widened steelies, but I know that there are much lighter wheels available then that. At this point I'm just looking, so I'll say that price doesn't matter....but obviously come purchase time it very well may.
S. Goertzen

Re: light weight 15X8

Postby heytrid » February 23rd, 2012, 11:55 pm

yeah widened steelies and light do not go hand in hand, a set of diamond racing wheels might be ok for weight and keeping the widedn steelie look.

That also being said you could run a 15x6 and run a nice sticky tire on it and it would have just as much grip on a mk1 as a 8" wide. That being said if you want to stretch and have poke then lightweight doesn't really matter as you are going for looks haha.

I could give you better recommendations if you said what you plan on doing with the car, poke/stretch/tucked/motorsport/autocross.
BJ W.
I don't like VW's, I just like the woman they attract..........
heytrid
Site Admin

Postby S. Goertzen » February 24th, 2012, 5:24 pm

The plan is 15x8 with something like Hankook Ventus R-S3 225/45R15's on all four. The fenders will have 4' flares to cover them. I'm not set on steel at all, in fact would rather not. That was simply a consideration as I thought that it may be easier to come accross.
S. Goertzen

Postby VEEDUBLUB » February 25th, 2012, 3:23 am

check out my 3 piece Jongloeds. Very light. In the wheel classifieds.
VEEDUBLUB
0-60

Postby S. Goertzen » February 25th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Nice wheels for sure. I'm simply looking right now to figure out what I want to plan for. I really don't want something that I'm worried about scratching as the car is autocrossed and drag raced. I'm looking for something fairly common and easy to fix if needed. I have BBS's, but I think they are still on the heavy side.
S. Goertzen

Postby doubleclutch » July 3rd, 2012, 6:45 am

allow me to suggest something mind blowing, 2 sets of wheels, a ugly light set with sticky tires for the autox/strip adventures. and a set of decent looking wheels for the street. buy a cheap set of diamonds and spend the money on the tires there, then get another set that looks alright for the street.
93 vr6 turbo passat wagon, daily driver
89 AWD big turbo 1.8t Jetta, Racecar
doubleclutch

Postby Dewey » July 10th, 2012, 2:21 am

doubleclutch wrote: buy a cheap set of diamonds and spend the money on the tires there, then get another set that looks alright for the street.

Diamonds are anything but light.
Rollin on 20's.

Matt
Dewey
Founder

Postby S. Goertzen » July 26th, 2012, 6:19 pm

The car really doesn't see the street much anymore. I have a couple of sets that I use now, but neither are very light. The BBS's are now on my Girlfriends Cabby, and I want something for the turbo'd GTI. Looked at Diamonds, but want something lighter.
S. Goertzen

Return to Wheel & Tire Tech