Widening Rado steelies

Wheel & Tire Tech Questions and Pictures

Re: Widening Rado steelies

Postby Dewey » December 28th, 2011, 6:58 am

stuvy wrote:Dewey did this (Chevy hoops, rado centers), but I don't think he'd do it again for anyone. To much to be liable for...

I'd do em again, it just wouldnt be cheap. Very time consuming. "Off road use only" covers ones ass :P

Take these: 6 lug is the 4wd and 5 lug is 2wd, barrels are the same for both, so you can mix and max. They are stamped 15x8 on the inside of the barrel (really small stamping). The 15x7's look the same, so look close.

Do this:

Until you have this:

Repeat with rado steelies. (alot easier to cut the welds since you dont have to worry about cutting into the barrel) One thing ive found is to split the rado barrel width wise, the centers just fall out once all the welds are cut.

Press rado centers into Chevy barrels, set offset and true them up. Trueing them took alot of patience. Mine balanced out nicely though, so it was worth the effort. Max was 2 oz on the inner lip with tire installed. The rest were under 1oz.

Weld, paint and enjoy.

Rollin on 20's.

Matt
Dewey
Founder

Postby 81rabbit16 » December 28th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Nice job on the wheels!! What was the et on the 15X8 's when they were finished?
1981 Mk1
2003 Passat 1.8T
81rabbit16

Postby Dewey » December 28th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Et 20 rear and ET 30 for the front. Had em on my B3 passat. Mk2's could get away with ET's or 15-25 depending on camber and tire size. Mk1's you may need to stagger the offsets a bit to keep the front under nicely (20-25mm would be a good starting point). The 10mm difference on mine was barely noticable, mostly had to point it out THEN people would see it.

Rollin on 20's.

Matt
Dewey
Founder

Previous

Return to Wheel & Tire Tech