How bout a "what did you do to your vw today" thread

*NSFW* General Discussion, Place to shoot the shit, Come out of the closet or Whatever else your little hearts desire

Re: How bout a "what did you do to your vw today" thread

Postby mcrow » December 31st, 2014, 4:38 am

I have a boost gauge mounted directly next to a vent in MK3. I just close the vent directly adjacent to the gauge. But I don't need it, it's a summer car.
Mitch
-1996 Harlequin
-1995 Cabrio VRT
mcrow
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby toque » December 31st, 2014, 4:43 am

I wish my GLI was a summer only car but thats what my mk2 is for =D
91 Jetta coupe TD (parts)
92 GTI OEM+ http://dasdubbers.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2261
04.5 GLI
toque
0-60

Postby Larso » December 31st, 2014, 9:38 pm

toque wrote:I always wondered about the vent pods, I like the look and placement but I didnt want to heat up the gauge all the time. Did you route the boost sense line and wires through the ducts?

I've had the gauge installed for 100000 km and I've not had any problems with it . The sensor for the boost and everything is remote mounted under the drivers kick panel and just a wire harness goes to the gauge I fit it in under the new supplied vent cover with the gauge mounting ... Maybe like 1-2 inches of wires
90 Corrado G60- still in progress
95 Cabrio VRT- blast to drive !
03 Jetta 1.8T- mine- daily-modded
12 Volvo XC90-wifes grocery getter

Lars G- the dirty swede !

Mortgage needs- colleen@brayco.ca #403-819-0132
Larso
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby Larso » January 18th, 2015, 3:38 am

My GLI got a 2.0T FSI coilpack swap and a steering column boost gauge. I would seriously recommend the 2.0T coilpacks to anyone running a 1.8t, made a world of difference in my car.

What are all the benefits of switching over etc. interested in doing this where did you get the oarts from and what's needed ? Any dyi for it ?

Larso
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby toque » January 18th, 2015, 6:21 am

The 2.0t packs are simply better designed and replacment parts are even cheaper than stock 1.8t coils. I saw an improved idle and much smoother and torquey low end and even better turbo spool. All around the car is running much smoother and I feel like I'm getting the most out of my engine and fuel. The 2.0t coils are plug and play with a little bit of spark plug gaping. They are longer than 1.8t coils so it's best to get a adapter plate to properly secure the packs. I got my kit from ECS tuning and it was pretty reasonable. With that kit you have to relocate the vacume reservoir that's on top of the engine which was easy and your engine will look much cleaner (I would imagine similar products are same). My GLI Is stock and I went with a 0.40 gap on new plugs and it's running great. Everything you need to know is on here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... -new-stuff
04.5 GLI
toque
0-60

Postby Larso » January 19th, 2015, 11:30 pm

toque wrote:The 2.0t packs are simply better designed and replacment parts are even cheaper than stock 1.8t coils. I saw an improved idle and much smoother and torquey low end and even better turbo spool. All around the car is running much smoother and I feel like I'm getting the most out of my engine and fuel. The 2.0t coils are plug and play with a little bit of spark plug gaping. They are longer than 1.8t coils so it's best to get a adapter plate to properly secure the packs. I got my kit from ECS tuning and it was pretty reasonable. With that kit you have to relocate the vacume reservoir that's on top of the engine which was easy and your engine will look much cleaner (I would imagine similar products are same). My GLI Is stock and I went with a 0.40 gap on new plugs and it's running great. Everything you need to know is on here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... -new-stuff

Gotcha ! I had a random missfire a couple time over the last year .... Time to upgrade them !

Larso
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby toque » January 20th, 2015, 2:32 am

Dooo it!
04.5 GLI
toque
0-60

Postby DeleriousZ » January 20th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Got another flat, wondering if the load rating on the tires isn't enough to stop them from letting air out or something... no idea. no visible damage to tire aside from sidewalls from being driven on flat.
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby mcrow » January 20th, 2015, 7:23 pm

DeleriousZ wrote:Got another flat, wondering if the load rating on the tires isn't enough to stop them from letting air out or something... no idea. no visible damage to tire aside from sidewalls from being driven on flat.

Time to buy new tires then. They are done once you see wear on the outside of the tire from driving flat. The outside looks drive-able but usually the interior is shredded and the structural integrity is already compromised. Or you can just roll the dice and hope you don't have a catastrophic blowout :? .
Mitch
-1996 Harlequin
-1995 Cabrio VRT
mcrow
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby DeleriousZ » January 20th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Yeah the sidewall is pretty chewed up.

I'm wondering if the load rating is high enough on the tires, or maybe they're just old because this is the 2nd one that's gone flat on me with no visible reason.
DeleriousZ
0-100

PreviousNext

Return to DasDubbers Garage