VW Jetta (instrument cluster lighting is gone) HELP!

Sell Your VW Parts Here

VW Jetta (instrument cluster lighting is gone) HELP!

Postby kevinhanks » May 23rd, 2018, 3:02 pm

Hello,

My wife's car (and currently our only working transportation), has been losing backlighting (actually front lighting) on the instrument cluster slowly over the past year (several were already burned out, actually). For a few months, the last one would go out, and come back on after a little purcussive maintenance on the top of the dash. Last week the last one finally bit the big one.
I've replaced dashboard lighting in a Taurus before, and while it wasn't easy, it wasn't too difficult, so I decided to go over to Amazon.com and pick up Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI, Cabrio Service Manual 1993-1999 AND Chilton's 1990-99 Volkswagen Repair Manual, figuring I could just do it myself. Well the first instruction is "remove steering wheel" which, frankly, I'm not too comfortable doing. But that's not the real problem.
The real problem is that neither book tells me what bulb replaces the ones in the instrument cluster! I kind of feel like I wasted $70... I'm pretty positive I can do the job without removing the steering wheel, but I need to know what bulbs to use!
Anyone got any ideas? Has anyone done this before? (Also, is there supposed to be a light under the shift indicator on the shifter stalk? If so, what bulb is it?)

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... 0&t=761258
Video content studio

Thank you
kevinhanks

Re: VW Jetta (instrument cluster lighting is gone) HELP!

Postby TheVdubFire » June 8th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Hey bud, hope you've sorted out the issue. I believe to replace the bulbs for the cluster lighting are located behind the instrument cluster. You won't necessarily need to remove the steering wheel (although it's fairly easy); the cluster is held in with screws that are hidden on the top of the cluster (on the dashboard). The light-bulbs can be purchased for cheap locally at Concept-1 in Calgary.

If you have any questions, post in the DasDubbers facebook group, our members check it more often. Good luck!
2011 VW Golf Sportline 2.5 CandyWhite
1990 VW Jetta Coupe OEM+ ABA build
_______
Anar Samedi
TheVdubFire
DasDubbers Member

Return to VW - Parts