Rust

General Discussion for anything VAG, Air/Water, Tech, Car News, Anything VAG Related

Rust

Postby Eires » July 21st, 2014, 7:32 pm

I got a 1980 MK1 Jetta with some seriously rusted areas. My main concern are the pinch welds, in some areas they are completely rotted, what is the best way to repair pinch welds on a unibody style vehicle so that they are sturdy and useful again?
Eires

Re: Rust

Postby NotoriousNRB » July 28th, 2014, 1:12 am

cut it out.
fab metal.
weld in.
seal.
paint.
92 GTI 16v
91 GTX 16v
57 WRX Swapped Beetle, Current Build
03 Sierra BroCab BroTruck
Dub Dynasty Photography
IG: @j_schinkel
-Jesse
NotoriousNRB
Pan Scraper

Postby DeleriousZ » July 28th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Before you start getting into any of it, make sure to take a minute and give a good hard think to if it's worth it in the end. Rust repair is a LOT of work. It's dirty, tedious, pain staking etc etc. That being said, after it's all done it gives you a pretty good sense of accomplishment!

Check this thread out for a decent look at what could be involved.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... eld-repair
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby Eires » July 28th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I definitely know it will be a lot of work, thankfully i have people I know, I just want to know that it is possible as. Im not as knowledgeable about body work as I am mechanics, so it may take some time but i don't mind getting dirty and learning. Thank you for posting that link makes me want to do the repairs even more now!
Eires

Postby JamesMac » October 19th, 2017, 3:17 pm

This is so true. I got into it without thinking it through and I kind of regret it. I didn't do such a great job and I've spent so much time and effort on it…
JamesMac

Return to Everything Volkswagen