VR6 No Crank - need help!

General Discussion for anything VAG, Air/Water, Tech, Car News, Anything VAG Related

VR6 No Crank - need help!

Postby Fizzo20 » June 20th, 2014, 2:35 am

So I went to crank the motor over and the starter solenoid clicks but doesn't actually spin or crank the motor. I pulled the starter and tested it on my bench and it does indeed spin with no load. It did seem a little sticky and weak so I contemplated getting it rebuilt. I got it checked by an auto electric shop and he simply cleaned/lubed it up and told me it was fine. It was noticeably more responsive on the bench test but when I went to reinstall it, all I get is the stupid click.

I've tried with multiple batteries, checked wiring, rotated motor by hand (isn't seized) and not quite sure what else to do. If it's the starter I'll probably just buy a new one but I don't want to buy one and find that it's not a starter issue. Could the flywheel somehow be jammed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to get this thing on the road!!!
As a side note, my fuel pump doesn't prime either...
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Re: VR6 No Crank - need help!

Postby mcrow » June 20th, 2014, 2:53 am

If the motor spins by hand, the flywheel isn't seized since its attached to the crankshaft.

Did you check the voltage in the wiring going to the starter? Maybe your getting a weak amount of voltage, but just enough to make the starter twitch.

I'd bet your fuel pump priming problem is an ECU problem. Maybe the relay?
Mitch
-1996 Harlequin
-1995 Cabrio VRT
mcrow
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby Fizzo20 » June 20th, 2014, 3:07 am

After reading the following link, I think the starter itself is pooched. I've tried two good batteries (From two daily driven cars) and all I get is the click when it's installed on the motor. On the bench the starter spins.

Here's said link for future reference: http://www.vw-resource.com/car_wont_start.html

I'm gonna try another ECU just now and I'll probably pick up a relay tomorrow.
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby twitch » June 20th, 2014, 3:58 am

Have you checked your grounds? Did you forget one during the swap or mix somwthing up? Every once and awhile my car will do that and it's always my grounds and its the same symptoms you're talking about, key in ad try to start and it just clicks.

I just unhook them, clean really good and hook em back up and then it starts like normal. I would bet that's the issue somewhere since the starter bench test is fine. I went through the same thing a few years ago when it first happened and I thought it was battery/starter. It was just grounds.

Just my 0.02$
-91 TD Jetta
-91 GTI
-Lifted Silverado
-Bunch Of Dirtbikes
twitch
0-60

Return to Everything Volkswagen