Mk2 cupholders ?

General Discussion for anything VAG, Air/Water, Tech, Car News, Anything VAG Related

Re: Mk2 cupholders ?

Postby mcrow » December 30th, 2014, 5:09 pm

What's wrong with VW and cupholders? MK3 are bullshit. You can't get anything bigger than a can of pop in the front cupholders, and the rear cupholder just breaks.
Mitch
-1996 Harlequin
-1995 Cabrio VRT
mcrow
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby heytrid » December 31st, 2014, 3:34 am

even the taurus mod in a mk2 does not offer a whole lot of room, better the a mk3 but still very annoying. I just got used to having everything in bottles.

Joe's setup looks like the best I have ever seen.
BJ W.
I don't like VW's, I just like the woman they attract..........
heytrid
Site Admin

Postby Larso » December 31st, 2014, 4:19 am

Joe .. I like that fix I'll have to see what I can do .. I got crank windows so the handles might interfere .

I had just picked up a cheap storage tray/ cup holder from Canadian tire and was using that . I'm driving the mk4 for winter so it's not an issue atm but I plan to drive the mk2 this summer I also have a mk3 interior from a car I parted so might swap in a 3 center console .
90 Corrado G60- still in progress
95 Cabrio VRT- blast to drive !
03 Jetta 1.8T- mine- daily-modded
12 Volvo XC90-wifes grocery getter

Lars G- the dirty swede !

Mortgage needs- colleen@brayco.ca #403-819-0132
Larso
I Think I Am In A Gang

Postby dublu » January 1st, 2015, 6:11 pm

Yeah, with a window winder, even if you cleared it, rolling the window up and down may be problematic. My other thought before I went with the door was to use the same cup and weld an attachment that came up from the bottom of the dash on the left side. kinda infront of the left heat duct. I wanted to do it in a way that I was not damaging the dash so a complex angled bracket was going to be needed to be created.I was going to have to cut a slot on the plastic just below the dash for the backet to go through and mount to the framework for the dash.
2012 Jetta, 2000 Audi A4, 84 Yamaha, 2003 Cooper

dublu.tumblr.com, dublu.ca, placidrhino.ca, @placidrhino
dublu
0-100

Postby Fizzo20 » January 3rd, 2015, 5:41 am

mcrow wrote:What's wrong with VW and cupholders? MK3 are bullshit. You can't get anything bigger than a can of pop in the front cupholders, and the rear cupholder just breaks.

I've noticed pretty much all german cars have the worst cupholders. They build outstanding cars but their cupholders just fail. My Audi's one still works but they typically break and it's also placed directly above the stereo and shift boot (pain to clean coffee from). My dad's E60 cupholders are also horrible.
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby billing10 » March 15th, 2015, 1:08 am

I have the mk3 console and that works okay just a lot of fitting and cutting to do
88 Slolom Jetta 8valve.
billing10

Postby j-dubn » April 3rd, 2015, 9:54 pm

I have a mk3 console easy mod didn't take long, hour tops just the seat belt part was a pain and I can fit a rockstAr can it's tight but it fits .
j-dubn
0-60

Previous

Return to Everything Volkswagen