early o2a shift cable ends

General Discussion for anything VAG, Air/Water, Tech, Car News, Anything VAG Related

early o2a shift cable ends

Postby DeleriousZ » September 8th, 2014, 2:45 am

So today I went to install a gruvenparts 'short shift kit' and found that someone had already been monkeying around in there.

What I want to know is what's usually in the middle of the small 'left right' cable end. Is there some sort of rubber bushing, and is there an upgrade or replacement part for it?

I know there are upgrade pieces for the part circled in blue but I'm not worried about that at the moment.

Currently there is a large bolt through the cable end so there isn't much slack, however when I put the cable end onto the new steel piece there's enough slop to where I can't select 1st/2nd no matter where I adjust it lever.

Thanks for any help! I ran around pnp today but there aren't any vw's with the same shifter setup.
DeleriousZ
0-100

Re: early o2a shift cable ends

Postby Fizzo20 » September 8th, 2014, 7:04 am

At the 52nd street PnP, there's a Passat 16v with the 02A cable setup.

IIRC, there's no bushing in the left/right cable, it's just hard plastic. If there's a lot of slop on the new gruvenparts piece, I'm guessing the PO may have drilled out the cable end to fit a bolt? The hole should be about 1/8" - 3/16" in diameter. What car is your shift box from? I have an extra shift box in my garage too in case you need it.

For reference, here's a written 02A cable adjustment guide.
http://www.houseofthud.com/shifting_gti.htm
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby DeleriousZ » September 8th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Ah yeah, I tried to make it to 52nd last night but apparently they lock the gates at 15 minutes before 5 now, I was not pleased lol.

If there aren't any bushings then he must have drilled it out. Everything is from an obd1 passat.
DeleriousZ
0-100

Postby DeleriousZ » March 7th, 2015, 9:24 pm

For anyone that might find this searching later... Yes, there is a metal sleeve with a rubber surround bushing that sits inside this plastic housing. I was able to press one out at the junkyard by hand and install it into mine.
DeleriousZ
0-100

Return to Everything Volkswagen